Thursday, July 31, 2008

How AARP Helped Me Find Heart in Art






OK, young people, I was flipping through the new issue of AARP Magazine yesterday and noticed an article about coming back home. There were some lovely photographs and thoughts on coming back to New Jersey but one thing really caught my attention--these thoughtful, sentimental images reminded me of Vaughn Wascovich's photographs of the Tar Creek Superfund site.

There I sat, trying to read the article, but each lovely photograph of the author's hometown reminded me of a different Wascovich photo of the Superfund site and I could not keep my mind on the article. I just kept thinking about Vaughn's imagery and could not read the article in its entirety.

Since I mentioned the article is in AARP you may question if my mind just tends to wander but I actually think I learned something in the process, so like the ole' folk Christmas Carol, "I wonder as I wander." Seeing the other photographer's work helped me realize Wascovich's images are not only beautiful because he is an artist with much experience and truckloads of technique but also because his heart is with Tar Creek's indigenous people.

Source of image to left: Vaughn Wascovich

Ahhh! The appealing image to the left is one of Vaughn's photographs. You see the azure water and peak surrounding the small water body and think, "where is that small piece of heaven!" And then someone wakes you up by reminding you, "Excuse me, but the mountain is a tailings pile and the water is ever so blue due to metals in the water."


To see more of
what I'm blogging about please visit Wascovich's gallery online. . . and do take a look at his Tar Creek images including his Picher tornado slideshow. Now I have a question--which is your favorite of the images posted in his Tar Creek gallery?


If you would like to see Wascovich's work up close and personal you will not want to miss the 10th National Conference on Tar Creek, September 15-17 in Miami, OK. He is a workshop presenter for the conference.

Well, I guess I will close since I still have an article about New Jersey to read in AARP. . . if I can just keep my mind off of Wascovich's photographs. . .

No comments: